Job Title: Training & Development Specialist
Work Hours: 7:30am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday, some weekends and overtime as needed.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Pay Scale: $50,000-$60,000, DOE
Primary Job Functions: The Training & Development Specialist is responsible for planning, conducting, and administering programs that will train employees and improve their skills and knowledge. In collaboration with other team members, the Training & Development Specialist plays a key role in our employee’s development experience to include communicating and embracing the company culture; facilitating interactive classroom, web or conference training courses; performing consistent evaluation of employee learning objectives; and monitoring post-training performance in the on-the-job setting.
Reports to: Human Resource Manager
- The ideal candidate is a self-starter with a collaborative approach that possesses strong organizational, time management, and relationship-building skills.
- Excellent people management skills –must be able to lead and develop a team of individuals that are focused on the culture.
- Excellent decision making and problem-solving skills with the ability to make sound judgments and take the initiative to establish priorities, meet deadlines, and make decisions within the functional area of responsibility with minimal direct supervision
- Demonstrate willingness to invest time in training seminars and classes.
- Experience in training and mentoring.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability to use interview techniques.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to produce accurate, detailed, high-quality work.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent verbal, writing, grammar, and communication skills
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Valid driver’s license.
- Good knowledge of: human resource management concepts.
- 3+ Years working in Training and Development
- Performing needs assessments, developing training objectives, designing and developing coursework, and evaluating the training; presenting training groups in structured learning situations using a variety of training methods.
- Financial planning/life coach; experience working with individuals to help them understand their financial circumstances and how to reach their short-term and long-term financial objectives.
- Experience with recruiting, technical recruiting a plus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research and create the overall structure of the company’s trainee program.
- Assess training needs through surveys, interviews with employees, or consultations with managers or owners.
- Review training materials from a variety of vendors and choose appropriate materials
- Develop and prepare a wide range of specialized training materials, presentations, and performance support tools/job aids.
- Communicate training plans clearly and assist managers with execution of plan and training needs.
- Select appropriate training methods or activities (e.g. mentoring, on-the-job training, and professional development classes).
- Monitor and evaluate training programs to ensure they are current and effective
- Perform administrative tasks such as monitoring costs, scheduling classes, setting up systems and equipment, and coordinating enrollment
- Create and communicate training calendar; coordinate assignment of training courses; perform administrative tasks associated with scheduling training rooms, classroom set-up, preparing training materials, coordinating schedules of other subject matter experts who will deliver portions of training, and all training preparation tasks.
- Identify gaps in the skills and competencies of our current training processes, and establish measures to track the progress of these skills and competencies.
- Track training assignments and attendance; maintain training data to assist with the reporting and metrics of ongoing training initiatives.
- Work with department managers to design, develop and plan implementation of new training programs.
- Develop a process for identifying the strengths and weaknesses of our employees.
- Implement training processes for new hires.
- Strong desire to establish and build relationships with each employee and help develop an individual career path/training program to promote success and personal growth.
- Establish recruiting requirements by studying organization plans and objectives; meeting with managers to discuss needs.
- Build applicant sources by researching and contacting community services, colleges, employment agencies, recruiters, media, and internet sites; providing organization information, opportunities, and benefits; making presentations; maintaining rapport.
- Determine applicant requirements by studying job descriptions and job qualifications.
- Attract applicants by placing job advertisements, contacting recruiters, using newsgroups, job sites, and social media.
- Determine applicant qualifications by interviewing applicants; analyzing responses; verifying references; comparing qualifications to job requirements.
- Maintain professional appearance and attitude at all times
- Operate company vehicle as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
Success Factors / Job Competencies:
- Ability to adhere to all company policies and procedures.
- Ability to successfully train employees and build skill sets that positively impact the business.
- Ability to arrive on time each workday and work the duration of the workday and any OT as required.
- Ability to work well under pressure, meeting multiple and sometimes conflicting deadlines.
- Ability to demonstrate cooperative behavior with colleagues and supervisors.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service to clients & co-workers alike.
- Ability to keep a well-organized and clean work environment.
- Ability to follow directions given by your supervisor
- Ability to perform all the duties and responsibilities as outlined in the job description.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; stoop, bend, lift, kneel; talk or hear. There will also be infrequent lifting 75 pounds or more over your head for an extended period, and potential exposure to hazardous materials.
This job sometimes operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time including extreme weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud on a job site. The employee will be exposed to dark and confined spaces, extreme temperatures, extreme weather, and heights and work that is below ground.
Certain key business indicators that will measure the effectiveness of this job description. These include the following:
- Successfully create and implement a training program.
- Ability to hold owners, managers, and team members accountable for meeting established benchmarks.
- Employee recruitment and retention efforts.
- Recruiting plan in place
- Up-to-date on recruiting needs
- Strong emphasis on company culture
- Relationship building – this will be a key performance standard as this position relies heavily on one’s ability to build relationships with team members.